The Beautiful Woman Has Come

The Beautiful Woman Has Come
A Historical Novel by Debra Giuffrida

Friday, January 8, 2010

Avoidance By Canine

Returning from a jaunt on the neighborhood golf course with my dog I realized that I am using her as a way to avoid my novel. Just maybe I acquired her so that I could waste time walking her everyday, thus having a perfectly good excuse to avoid sitting down and writing.

In fact, I have been avoiding everything in my life. The official cause of this: Holiday Depression. At least that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it! I am far from family and friends and the Internet is not as warm and fuzzy as I would hope it to be.

So I immerse myself in trivialities. My current time waster, while I'm not walking the dog, is Bejeweled Blitz. One minute of sheer avoidance, it's marvelous! And I'm good at it to boot! In fact I have sucked a few of my author friends into competing with me for some silly weekly prize, group avoidance.

Just recently joined an online writers group and it has been a big boost to my fragile writers ego. My writing does not suck and I am not the worst writer ever. But I do have issues, we all have issues. But they are fixable! In fact one of my issues is not feeling worthy of the title "author;" how can I call myself an author when I have never published anything? And High School publications don't count! Artists have been known to have fragile ego's. In fact there is a wonderful talk given by a the wonderful author Elizabeth Gilbert all about our creative geniuses and how we as a society put too much pressure on them. My writers group guru posted the link and while I was listening to the talk (here is the url: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html) I wept. It was marvelous! I have subsequently passed on the link to other author friends of mine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Anyway, I would love to know if anyone is out there reading my words. How do you avoid writing? I know you do, so let's have it, confess your demons!

No comments:

Post a Comment